family pic

family pic

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Marriage...

So I promised you Here that I would do a post on marriage and getting married young.. Well beings it is our 15th wedding anniversary I thought today was a good day! I met Tim when I was 15 years old, we got married when I was 16 (closer to 17). Did I "have" to get married? No, but we were in love and I knew this was the man that God had for me, and for whom I had prayed  since I was 12 years old. (I would pray every night that God would be with my future husband) If I wouldn't have gotten married then what would I have done? Finished school, continued working, maybe gotten into trouble? Is that better than marriage and being a mommy? I think not, atleast not for me.. Everybody is different and has different gifts, right? Well I believe mine is being a wife and mother.. Does this mean every girl should get married young? No it does not! We need to be open to what God has planned for us and follow His will not our own. So therefore I believe it is wrong to put an age limit on marriage, be it 17 or 25! We shouldn't push our kids to marry nor forbid them to. I have often heard that if you get married young, you don't have a chance to grow up. Excuse me, but you DON'T grow up until you marry!! Here you are living your life for yourself and one day you are married. Well you have to start thinking of the other person and giving of yourself now, and age has nothing to do with it. Sometimes I think the older you are, the harder it is for you to give up certain things as you are so used to only thinking of yourself! Do I regret getting married young and 5 years later having four babies? Not for a minute!!! It wasn't easy I tell you, but through all of our trials and losses, we have come out more in love than ever! The main thing is that we keep God at the center of our marriage.. That is one thing I stress to newlyweds, that marriage takes three!! It probably does help that I have such an easygoing man! :) He balances out my fiestiness! Or maybe we balance each other out!! :) Whatever the case may be, I wanted to share my thoughts with you, and so I have!!

6 comments:

  1. That is so neat! Keith and I got married 2 months after I turned 17yrs, we were young too! Here we are 14 yrs of marriage later (yesterday was our anniversary) and in love more now then ever! Getting married young has it's challenges but so does doing it when your older, in fact what marriage doesnt? hahah! I think if both people are commited to God first, thats the recipe for a lasting marriage. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! :) Love, Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!! As you know I was 2 weeks past my 17th(met when I was 15 yrs) birthday when Leon and I got married..We wouldn't have it any other way! We have grown up together and shared hardships and joys! I have witnessed others(one being a dear friend) get married at an older age and it has brought them challenges no different then a younger couple..like you said some seem to have a harder time adjusting when they are older because they are set in their ways.AND without a doubt Marriage does take THREE...I thank God I got married young,it was the best thing that ever happened to me!! Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do remember that day. And thank you Tim and Amanda for being an everyday living example of what a marriage can and should be. Thank you for helping keep America strong. Pat Aho

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met my husband when I was almost 30. At times I wish I could have met him earlier but it was not meant to be. I agree, wait on God, if you do your marriage will be blessed (at 17 or 30).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! To grow up is to learn selflessness, and the fastest way I know of is through marriage, and secondly parenthood! There is no greater reward than to learn the meaning of J O Y (Jesus, Others, You) and to live it.

    ReplyDelete